In recent years, the clothing and shoes that doctors and nurses wear has drastically changed. Not only has fashion relaxed but sensibility for comfort has greatly increased. In fact, rarely do you find a doctor that wears a tie or lab coat.
Nor will you find nurses in starched uniforms and collars buttoned up to the shin. Instead, medical professionals are wearing clothes that will be comfortable throughout their long shift.
When it comes to shoes, the fashion for medical professionals has also changed quite a bit. In the past, doctors wore extremely unfitting dress shoes and nurses could be found in huge white shoes with big laces.
Both of these types of shoes are very unhealthy for the feet, not to mention quite uncomfortable.
Today, you can find quite a few types of shoes that are more appropriate for medical professionals. In fact, their choice in proper shoes is pretty extensive.
However, fashion and comfort needs to be taken in consideration when it comes to selecting the best dress shoes for doctors.
What Type of Shoes Do Doctors Prefer to Wear at Work?
Conferring to The BMJ, a global healthcare knowledge provider, doctors feel that appearance matters. In fact, physicians dress to inspire confidence.
Quite a bit of emphasis is placed on the quality of a doctor’s appearance. In a result, most doctors will choose a professional looking shoe.
In addition, being comfortable is also important, especially working long shifts. Clearly, shoes play a significant role in medical professional workwear.
When it comes to comfort and style, Balding Beards suggests some of the more preferred brands like
- Cole Haan
- Stacy Adams
- Calvin Klein
- Alan Edmonds
- Sebastian Cruz
Other great brands include Rockport, La Milano, Johnston & Murphy, Vionic, Hush Puppies, Gucci, Børn, Sandro, Dockers, Nunn Bush, Samuel Hubbard, Dansko, Skechers, and ECCO.
Obviously, first impressions are important when it comes to the character of a doctor. Both dress and types of shoes that a doctor wears will say a lot about their character.
In addition, there are certain qualities and features that a doctor looks for in a dress shoe before making a purchase. In fact, many doctors felt that comfort was highly preferred.
However, doctors also took fashion and elegance into consideration. Doctors know the importance of choosing a good looking shoes since so many are quite ugly and unprofessional looking.
According to MDLinx, doctors look for certain qualities in a work shoe
- Comfort (93%)
- Support (58%)
- Cushioning (56%)
- Appearance (53%)
- Durability (36%)
- Slip resistance (29%)
- Breathability (27%)
- Cost (22%)
Top 5 Dress Shoes for Doctors
When working in a hospital or with patients, it is imperative that doctors put their best foot forward in both disposition and attire. However, a physician needs to be able to focus on the job and not be distracted because of ill-fitting shoes.
The ideal solution is a stylish yet comfortable shoe that is appropriate for the environment. Whether in a meeting or working endless hours in a hospital, a comfortable men’s dress shoe is essential.
Fortunately, there are a lot of options for comfortable dress shoes on the market. Preferably, the ideal dress shoe is artfully designed, constructed with quality materials, offers support, and is a neutral color.
To make it easy to choose and save time, here are the 5 best dress shoes for doctors available on the market
Rockport Men’s Essential Details Waterproof Wingtip Oxford Shoe
This oxford shoe scores high for its classic style, comfort, and support. It is the ideal dress shoe for doctors who are on the go yet always need to make a good impression.
The Rockport Men’s Essential Details Waterproof Wingtip Oxford Shoe is composed of waterproof leather that is seam sealed. The fashion shoe also provides extreme comfort with lightweight shock absorption for ultimate support.
And for a personalized fit, the wingtip oxford shoe features a sponge ethylene-vinyl acetate footbed that melds to the shape of your feet.
- Leather upper is simple to clean and maintain
- Sponge ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) EVA footbed melds to the shape of your foot
- Outsole is composed of thermoplastic rubber for durable shock absorbency reducing leg fatigue
- Sizes tend to run small
- adidas adiPRENE cushioning. Sponge EVA footbed conforms to the shape of the foot to help provide a personalized fit
- HydroShield waterproofing
- Up to any urban challenge, this walkable wingtip blends style and comfort.
Clarks Men’s Unkenneth Way Oxford
The Clarks Men’s Unkenneth Way Oxford feels great and is extremely comfortable to walk in. Although they are not the dressiest shoe, especially for a suit, these shoes are perfect for long hours at work. In addition, the Clarks Men’s Unkenneth Way Oxford is exceptionally durable and can withstand a lot of abuse.
Even more, this comfortable dress shoe is made of quality leather that is very breathable. Moreover, this dress shoe has a wonderful grip and provides amazing stability even on slippery floors.
- Slip resistant rubber sole
- Lightweight with comfortable footbed
- Made of breathable high quality leather
- Has a narrow width
- Breathable leather
- Flexible sole
- Non-marking outsole
- Comfort footbed
Cole Haan Men’s Washington Grand Laser Wing Oxford
These shoes feel great and look amazing. They fit perfectly and offer numerous features that provide both comfort and style. The Cole Haan Men’s Washington Grand Laser Wing Oxford is composed of soft yet durable leather that holds up to all day wear.
In fact, even given the high price, they are a favorite among medical professionals.
- Durable genuine leather outsole
- Stylish five eyelet lace construction
- Stacked heel for comfort and support
- More expensive than most comfortable dress shoe brands
- Elevate your tailored wardrobe with a pair of this timeless Cole Haan® classic.
- Antiqued leather upper features laser cut out detail.
- Five-eyelet lace construction.
- Plain almond toe.
- Smooth textile linings and padded insole. Stacked heel. Genuine leather outsole. Imported. Measurements: Weight: 1 lb 1 oz...
La Milano Double Monk
The La Milano Mens Double Monk Strap Slip on Loafer Cap Toe Leather Oxford is one of the most popular and fashionable dress shoes available. It is crafted with high quality cow suede and Argentinen leather featuring a stylish cap toe monk strap and sophisticated hand burnished finish.
For the ultimate fit, it also has hidden elastics for easy slip on. The La Milano Mens Double Monk Strap Slip on Loafer Cap Toe Leather Oxford is ideal for dress, work and play.
- Comfortable insoles and a stylish stacked heel
- Crafted with Argentinen leather with hidden elastics for easy fitting
- Double monk strap loafers that are extremely fashionable and very comfortable
- Takes a while to break in
- Leather upper, synthetic lining, comfort insole and stacked heel.
- This tapered cap toe double monk strap loafer is outrageously on trend featuring special paint and brush technique on upper in...
- Perfect for any dress, formal, or party occasions.
- Classic cap toe design, comfortable slip on loafer.
- This style runs true to size, select your normal size.
Samuel Hubbard Mens Tipping Point Oxford
The Samuel Hubbard Mens Tipping Point Oxford is a very high quality dress shoe that offers incredible comfort. It has a sharp looking style with a full leather lining and removable footbed.
It addition, it features a lot more cushion than the average dress shoe. Moreover, these dress shoes are extremely durable and hold up to the abuse and long hours at work.
- Double extra cushioning for ultra-comfort and support
- Offers a wingtip toe and heavy perforations and pinkings
- Removable triple density memory foam footbed that pampers your feet
- Has a wide width