Are you tired of sore feet from standing in the pharmacy all day? You may need different shoes.
Pharmacists tend to spend hours on their feet. The wrong footwear causes achy feet and may lead to knee and back pain.
Standing for long periods also puts pharmacists at greater risk for bunions, plantar fasciitis, and other conditions of the foot.
While many pharmacists choose to wear clogs, there are plenty of other options.
Podiatrists often recommend wearing supportive shoes, such as running sneakers or walking sneakers. These shoes provide structure for the arch of your foot, instead of keeping your foot flat.
If you need help selecting the right option, check out these best shoes for pharmacists.
Best Choice – Orthofeet Orthopedic Sneakers
Orthofeet produces shoes designed specifically to address common foot conditions, including bunions and plantar warts. The arch support and air cushioning system also provide comfort when standing all day, making this the best overall choice for pharmacists.
These sneakers also include room for your toes and multiple layers of cushioning to keep your feet aligned. This adds more protection against foot pain and arthritis.
Along with this pair of women’s sneakers, Orthofeet has several comparable options for men.
The only drawback is the sneaker design, which may be too casual for some pharmacies.
- Specially designed to reduce foot pain
- Includes air cushioning system to absorb more shock
- Spacious toe box and multiple cushioning layers
- Relatively expensive
- The style may be too casual
The Orthofeet Orthopedic Sneakers give you superior arch support and advanced cushioning to improve comfort and reduce stress when standing or walking.
- GUARANTEED COMFORT! Test our shoes for up to 60 DAYS and see for yourself why Orthofeet is regarded by millions as the WORLD'S...
- PLANTAR FASCIITIS? HEEL PAIN? FOOT PAIN? NEUROPATHY? Orthofeet orthotic shoes offer the BEST ORTHOPEDIC SHOE solution. Lightweight...
- EXTENDED WIDTHS - These SUPER COMFORTABLE women’s casual shoes with soft, non-binding uppers are available in Medium, Wide and...
- SENSITIVE FEET? DIABETES? ARTHRITIS? NEUROPATHY? Soft uppers with smooth interior lining and extra foam padding provide SUPERIOR...
- BUNIONS? HAMMERTOES? A wide & roomy TOE BOX offers a comfortable, non-binding fit for the front part of the foot and toes, and...
Runner-up – Rockport Men’s Eberdon Loafer
The runner-up is a pair of men’s loafers from Rockport. Rockport is a trusted brand, known for making high-quality men’s loafers. The Eberdon loafers should hold up well to repeated wear while continuing to support and comfort your feet.
To help keep the bottoms of your feet supported and comfortable, the Eberdon Loafers feature a patented air circulator system and shock-absorbing EVA footbeds.
These loafers are also carefully engineered using the lightest material to increase durability while decreasing overall weight. The result is a breathable, comfortable pair of loafers that you can easily stand in all day.
- Comfortable shock-absorbing footbeds
- Air circulator system keeps your feet dry
- Durable stitching and material
- Does not offer the best traction
The Rockport Eberdon Loafers are made from 100% leather and have a classy appearance while providing support and comfort for a long shift at the pharmacy.
- Leather upper with contrast stitching detail for added style
- Side goring for an easy on and off
- Padded collar for ultimate comfort
- Manmade lining
- Comfort system designed to provide lightweight shock absorption
Hush Puppies Men’s Leverage Slip-on
The Hush Puppies Men’s Leverage Slip-ons provide an alternative to the Rockport loafers. As with the Rockport loafers, the Hush Puppies shoes include padded collars and full-grain leather.
However, the Hush Puppies loafers include additional waterproof protection and more support in the heel.
If you tend to stand in one place for most of the day, the Rockport loafers may hold up better. If you move around frequently, the gel heel in these loafers should minimize stress on your feet.
These loafers also have a removable, cushioned footbed. If the midsole does not contour to the bottoms of your feet, you can replace it with an orthopedic insert.
- Unique gel heel for extra support
- Water repellent leather material
- Removable, cushioned footbed
- Some sizes are considerably expensive
These slip-on loafers should keep your feet comfortable and dry all day as you fill prescriptions.
- Crafted in full grain waterproof leather
- WeatherSMART: Water-repelling leathers keep feet dry without sacrificing comfort or style
- Climate control lining for comfort
- Padded instep and collar provide cushioning around the ankle, Removable, leather covered cushioned footbed
- Hush Puppies Strike Back gel heel pad provides additional cushioning at the heel
Clarks Women’s CloudSteppers Sillian Paz Slip-on Loafer
Women seeking loafers should try the CloudSteppers Sillian Paz Slip-Ons from Clarks. These loafers include 100% textile fabric and synthetic soles. The main highlight is the ortholite footbed.
The footbed provides support for the anatomical shape of the bottoms of your feet. Besides offering the perfect platform for standing all day, the cushioned footbed should help those suffering from flat feet.
It is also removable, allowing you to replace it with a different orthopedic insert.
The sole of the shoe provides a good combination of flexibility and support. The arches of your feet remain supported, whether you are standing or moving around.
- Shock-absorbing outsole
- Removable orthopedic insole
- Comfortable slip-on design
- Sizes run a little small
If you need a simple pair of loafers with the maximum amount of cushioning and comfort, slip on the Clarks Women’s CloudSteppers Sillian Paz Loafers.
- Cushion soft
- Ortholite foot bed
New Balance Women’s 928v3 Walking Shoe
Instead of loafers, you may prefer the padding found in the New Balance Women’s 928v3 Walking Shoes. These sneakers come with compression-molded EVA midsoles, ROLLBAR technology, and removable footbeds.
The shoes are made from a combination of 100% leather and textile. They also feature rubber soles and come in a few different colors. Choose from white, black, and gray.
The compression-molded midsole and removable footbeds are a couple of the main advantages. These features support your feet throughout the day, even when working longer than eight hours.
You also have the option of removing the footbed and adding a custom orthopedic insert.
- Compression-molded EVA midsole has great support
- Removable footbed for adding an insert
- Extra padding for more comfort and protection
- The casual style may not work in every pharmacy
The New Balance 928v3 Walking Shoes provide stability and comfort for every part of your foot, reducing the stress of standing for hours at a time.
- ABZORB Cushioning: These New Balance walking shoes' ABZORB midsole absorbs impact through a combination of cushioning and...
- Stability and Support: The ROLLBAR stability post system helps control rear-foot movement for enhanced support. The Walking Strike...
- Durable Outsole for Long-Lasting Wear: The NDurance rubber outsole technology provides excellent durability in high-wear areas to...
- Additional Underfoot Comfort: The removable PU foam footbed offers added durability and comfort to help take you through long...
- Made for All-Day Wear: The Phantom Liner interior has minimal seaming to help reduce irritation while the odor-resistant treatment...
Buyer’s Guide for Choosing the Best Shoes for Pharmacists
Standing all day puts a strain on your feet, knees, hips, and back. Luckily, the right shoes can reduce strain and make standing less of a chore.
Podiatrists typically suggest that you avoid lightweight shoes with extremely flexible soles. Shoes that resemble the feel of walking barefoot do not provide proper support. Other details to consider include:
- Arch support
- Comfortable fit
- Cushioned footbed
- Shoe style
When you stand in place, keep the arches of your feet supported. Look for shoes with cushioned midsoles or removable footbeds.
A removable footbed makes it easier to add an orthopedic insert for more cushioning.
The shoes also need to fit comfortably. If the shoes are too wide or large, your feet do not get proper support.
If the shoes are too narrow or small, your toes crowd together.
Pay attention to the available styles of shoes. You may wear running shoes or walking shoes. You can also choose slip-ons, laces, or Velcro straps.
For jobs where you stand all day, such as working in a pharmacy, choose walking shoes over running shoes.
Running shoes tend to have a narrow midsole and higher heels, helping to drive the toes downward as you run. Walking shoes provide a more natural platform for standing and support the natural heel-to-toe walking action.
Walking shoes may come with laces or Velcro straps. Both options allow you to adjust the fit over your forefoot for custom comfort.
However, slip-on shoes are often lighter and more breathable.
Conclusion on Best Shoes for Pharmacists
In the end, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to footwear. While you may find slip-on shoes more comfortable, you may not like the appearance.
Choose shoes that match your personal tastes.
You also need to make sure that they fit. Small shoes crowd your toes, increasing the risk of bunions.
Large shoes allow your feet to shift inside the shoes, limiting support and overall comfort.