Most people experience smelly feet every once in a while. However, there are people who are afraid to take their shoes off because they have smelly feet.
The medical term for smelly feet is bromodosis. The good news is that the condition can typically be treated with minimal effort.
The main cause of bromodosis is the buildup of sweat and moisture. The clammy environment is actually ideal for bacteria growth on the skin. In turn, the bacteria causes odor and smelly feet.
Smelly Feet – Possible Causes
According to Healthline, people who are prone to bromodosis are teenagers and pregnant women. As well, people who are on their feet for long hours or who are under a lot of stress are also apt to have bad foot odors such as nurses, healthcare practitioners, and culinary workers.
Other factors that can lead to foot odor are poor hygiene, not changing socks on a daily basis, and wearing shoes that do not breathe. In fact, shoes that offer a lot of aeration and breathability will drastically reduce foot sweat and odor.
An Ounce of Prevention
When it comes preventing smelly feet, you want to look for shoes that are made of breathable material. The best breathable fabric is leather and canvas.
On the other hand, avoid shoes that are composed of plastic and synthetic material.
In addition, you want to wear the correct size of shoes. Shoes that are to small and tight will crowd the toes and promote sweaty feet.
Insoles may also offer a little relief from sweaty feet. The best insoles are deodorizing or absorbent and will wick away moisture and help prevent smelly feet.
It is also a good idea to change into a fresh pair of shoes when your feet start to sweat. Likewise, avoid wearing the same pair of shoes 2 days in a row.
That way you allow you shoes to dry out between uses.
The Best Nursing Shoes for Bromodosis
Today you can find a wide array of shoes that are beneficial to your feet. If you are a nurse or culinary worker, you want the best nursing shoes available on the market. Some of the best nursing shoes for smelly feet include:
CALZURO Autoclavable Clog Nursing Shoes
- Has a Slip Resistant Sole
- Machine Washable in a Commercial Washer
- Features a 1.5” Heel to Reduce Tiredness and Fatigue
- Made of Eco Friendly Materials, also Metal Free & Cruelty Free
- They run a touch small
- Runs a little narrow in width
- Italian made: * The bottom of the shoe sole lists UK sizing. US sizing is not marked anywhere on the Calzuro shoes. Please refer...
- Anti-static, eco-friendly, latex free, cruelty free & metal free
- 1.5" heel to reduce fatigue
- Slip resistant sole, medium width
- Sterilize in the autoclave, machine wash, disinfect with bleach, or wash in commercial dishwasher.
These anti-static and Eco friendly nursing shoes are built for working long hours and constantly being busy. They are the ultimate pairs of shoes that are preferred by nurses, healthcare practitioners, culinary workers, veterinarians, dentistry workers, and other professions.
The CALZURO Autoclavable Clog with Upper Ventilation is also a stylish shoe that comes in 16 different colors.
Merrell Men’s Encore Bypass Slip-On Nursing Shoes
- Very Well Cushioned
- Easy to Slip On and Off
- Ultimate Comfort and Durability
- Breathability with an Exposed Back
- A Bit Expensive
- Runs a Little Large
- Leather and Mesh
- M Select GRIP sole
- Heel measures approximately 2"
- Slip-on clog with mesh upper featuring leather trims and shock-absorbing air cushion heel
Merrell is well known shoe brand for the great outdoors. They are often worn by hikers, backpackers, and trailblazers.
Often, shoes made for the outdoors are heavy duty and very durable. Often they are too heavy for people who are on their feet all day such as nurses and restaurant workers.
However, the Merrell Men’s Encore Bypass Slip-On Shoe is a much lighter and more comfortable shoe than the average sports brand. It has an evolutionary design that allows hikers, runners, and nurses the ability to go farther and faster.
It is also the perfect nursing shoe for people who have bromodosis issues.
K-Swiss Bigshot Light 3 Womens Nursing Shoes
- Overall Sole Durability
- Slip Resistant with Great Traction
- Equipped with a Midfoot Shank for Stability
- Plantar Support Chassis for Extreme Comfort
- Mostly Made for Wide Widths
- A Little Stiff and Hard to Break In
- Synthetic Leather/Textile Upper
- Textile Collar Lining
- Draggaurd Rubber & Aosta Rubber Outsole
- CMEVA Midsole and Sock Liner
- Lace Closure
The K-Swiss Bigshot Light 3 is a good choice for people who need shoes with support, stability, and a traditional feel. They are built to last and also offer exceptional comfort throughout the day.
With extra cushioning, a relaxed medium width that doesn’t pinch, and adequate arch support, it is easy to forget that you are actually wearing shoes. In addition, this performance this is very durable and is built to last.
ASICS Men’s Gel-Dedicate 5 Nursing Shoes
- A Flexible Upper Design
- Great Shoe Structure with a Lightweight Sole
- Solid Rubber Outsole Offers Superior Traction & Durability
- Forefoot GEL Cushioning Boosts Shock Reduction during Force & Momentum
- The Size Runs too Narrow
- A Little on the Heavy Side
- Solid Rubber Outsole: Provides enhanced durability and traction.
- Forefoot GEL Cushioning System: Enhances shock attenuation during propulsion.
- Trusstic System Technology: Reduces the weight of the sole unit while retaining the structural integrity of the shoe.
The ASICS Men’s Gel-Dedicate 5 Tennis Shoe features a forefoot gel cushioning system, a flexible upper design for better movability, and a solid rubber outsole for sturdiness and slip resistance. It is the perfect shoe for workers who have abrupt movements, a fast pace, and need comfort during the entire long shift.
The Gel-Dedicate 5 is performance driven and also offers protection for people who sweat a lot in their shoes.
Adidas Men’s Barricade Club Nursing Shoes
- Maximum Breathability with Lightweight Air Mesh Upper
- Superior Cushioning & Comfort at Impact with Full-Length Adiprene
- Adituff Wraps Around the medial forefoot & Toe to Prevent Foot Drag
- Lightweight EVA midsole plus 3D Torsion offers Adjustable Midfoot Support
- Runs a Little Wide
- Runs a Touch on the Big Side
- Seamless Forgedmesh upper designed with areas of support and stretch to help ensure a custom fit that adapts to every move
- Soft and stretchable tongue for comfort fit; Bootee construction for snug fit; Adiprene+ in the forefoot maintains propulsion and...
- Abrasion-resistant Adituff wraps around the toe and medial forefoot to help protect against foot drag that occurs during serves,...
- Geofit construction for anatomical fit and comfort; Ghillie at top of lacing delivers a locked-down fit
- Barricade chassis for support and stability in midfoot and extra freedom and flexibility in forefoot; Adiprene under the heel for...
The Adidas Men’s Barricade Club Tennis Shoe is specially designed for unrestrained coverage on the tennis court and at work. They are extremely lightweight and have a breathable upper that helps reduce sweat.
In addition, they offer an Adituff toe that prevents foot drag plus keeps you balanced and stable during fast and quick moves.