Achilles tendinitis is incredibly painful. But there's good news:
If you've been searching for shoes to help with your pain, you're in luck.
Here's a run down of the 8 best shoe options for people who suffer from achilles tendinitis.
We'll take an in depth look at each shoe and the pros/cons for anyone looking for some relief form tendinitis.
Asics Men’s Nimbus Running Shoe
Asics is a trusted brand in the running world, and their Nimbus shoe has emerged as one of the best that they offer. The GEL-Nimbus 17 will make you feel like you’re running on air.
This lightweight shoe comes with FluidFit technology that keeps you blister free, while the ComforDry X-40 insole will wick moisture from your feet.
This shoe has a heel-clutching system and extended rearfoot and forefoot gel-cushioning to give you the most comfortable run you’ve ever had.
If you’re a night runner or a trail runner, this shoe is perfect for you. It’s got an eyelet lacing system, glow-in-the-dark gel cushioning and its sleek outer shell is covered in reflective markings to make sure you’re seen.
The shoe is made for runners of all kinds, using a guidance system to specifically help under-pronators.
However, it will support and add speed for all the runners who wear it.
- Great for long distance runs
- A supportive shoe for under-pronators & those will Achilles tendonitis
- Very breathable
- Runs narrow
- Quality has decreased since release of previous versions of this shoe
- Night-ready trail running shoe with allover reflective upper and glow-in-the-dark GEL cushioning
- FluidFit upper technology
- Discrete eyelet lacing system
- Heel Clutching System
- Removable moisture-managing ComforDry X-40 insole
Saucony Women’s Grid Omni Walker
You can’t get a better walking shoe than Saucony’s Grid Omni Walker. These shoes were literally made for walking!
This is a high-tech shoe with a subdued, simple look than other shoes simply can’t offer.
Made out of real leather and a sturdy rubber sole, these shoes give you the support and comfort you need when you’re planning to be on your feet all day.
These shoes have an asymmetrical sole that is specifically engineered to support the biological structure of your foot and how it moves.
They also feature Saucony’s patented Walk Trac outsole design which prevents you from tripping when your pace changes.
The flexible but supportive rubber sole, midfoot support bridge and impact zone all ensure that you’re walking safely, with stability and utmost comfort.
The Omni walker features a visible rearfoot grid system that gives heel-centered stability which makes it a perfect shoe for those who either over or under pronate when they walk.
You could literally walk for hours without any pain in this cushy shoe, even if you suffer from Achilles tendonitis!
- Great for over and under-pronators
- Wide footbed
- Extremely comfortable
- Minimize recurrence of plantar fasciitis & other common foot problems
- They can squeak when wet
- Not good for people with high arches
- Walking sneaker featuring lace-up vamp, mesh tongue, and logo applique at sides
- Engineered asymmetrical sole for bio-mechanical fit
- Walk Trac patented outsole design for smooth transition
- Visible rearfoot grid system for cushioning and stability
Skechers Women’s Shape Ups Walking Sneaker
Skechers is known for its comfortable and stylish shoes and the Shape Ups Walking sneaker is a true example of the quality of their work.
Women all over are singing the praise of this shoe since it is so comfortable yet versatile.
This sports shoe from Skechers provides double the benefits. Not only is it a cute shoe that you can wear with your everyday clothes, but the thick sole also provides extreme comfort and an added cushion to your step for big fitness benefits!
Made of real leather, this two-tone athletic shoe is fully padded, even on its tongue and collar.
It’s also breathable, so you don’t have to deal with sweaty, stinky feet after you walk about town.
The shoe also gives you a little height, measuring 1 ¼” at the heel.
Unlike traditional heels that cause a lot of pain, you could wear these shoes all day and still feel extremely comfortable because of the incredible shock absorption in the rubber sole.
- Rounded sole makes for a more comfortable step
- Good for those with bunions, heel spurs and plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis
- Quality of the shoe has diminished over time
Adidas Men’s Ultraboost Uncaged
An impressive, lightweight shoe from Adidas, the Ultraboost Uncaged is surprisingly supportive and comfortable.
In addition to being a great shoe for those with foot problems like Achilles tendonitis, these shoes are also really neat looking.
The shoes feature a bootie or sock-like construction using Adidas’s signature Primeknit mesh.
They come in an incredible variety of colors, from maroon and black to simple black and white.
There are more than 20 color combinations available for you to choose from!
Just like the original Uncaged shoe by this company, this shoe is specifically geared to give you more spring in your step and to make your running and walking more energetic.
They feature a molded heel counter, a Stretch Web outsole and Adidas’s signature boost cushioning.
- Comfortable shoe for people with Achilles tendonitis
- Comes in a variety of colors and styles
- Lightweight and breathable
- Machine washable
- Mesh material loosens over time; buy a half size smaller than normal
- Shoe easily gets soaking wet in rain or any inclement weather
- Very easy to get dirty
Asics Gel Contend 4 Running Shoe
A less-expensive version of the Gel Nimbus that’s already on this list, Asics Gel Contend is a really comfortable running and walking shoe, especially if you’re prone to having foot pain.
This shoe has a rearfoot GEL cushioning system that absorbs the shock from your initial foot strike and helps transition your foot as you continue to run.
The stability that this shoe gives with its thick rubber sole is simply unmatched!
Another interesting feature that this shoe has that makes it unique is its removable sock liner.
Speaking of that othrolite sock liner, it is made with the Asics signature ComforDry technology.
They are not only extremely comfortable but wick moisture from the shoe and from your foot, thereby preventing the growth of bacteria in the shoe and around your foot!
Asics is based on the old phrase “a sound mind in a sound body” and they certainly will help you achieve that in this shoe. The GEL-Contend is a fantastic choice for beginners or low mileage runners.
This shoe is versatile and appropriate for many uses even outside of running. Overall this is a great, comfortable shoe, especially for those who really need a comfortable shoe.
- Long tongue and lace guard of the shoe provides ease for inserting a medical orthotic
- Removable sock liner
- Great for low-mileage runners
- Not great for extreme or long-distance runners
- Runs small
- Rearfoot GEL Cushioning System: Attenuates shock during impact phase and allows for a smooth transition to midstance.
- Removable Sockliner: A sockliner which can be removed to accommodate a medical orthotic.
- ComforDry Sockliner: Removable sockliner that provides cushioning performance and moisture wicking for a cooler, dryer, healthier...
Clark’s Men’s Portland Casual Shoe
Clark’s is known for their comfortable, reliable shoes and the Portland shoe is simply no exception.
Made of 100% leather, these shoes are great for work or even a casual night out on the town.
These shoes have a rugged, whipstitched toe. These shoes are so incredibly well made, they will last you through years of wear and tear.
Often, when shoes are comfortable and well-made, they are not the most attractive shoe.
That’s not the case with the Portland shoe as they are very stylish!
For those who have Achilles tendonitis or other foot issues, this is a great shoe. It features a removable Ortholite footbed that gives a great amount of support and can be replaced with a medical orthotic if needed.
The Portland also features a soft mesh lining that enables your foot to breathe while you wear it. This shoe is so durable and comfortable, you can wear them for hours and not feel any pain!
They’re also great because unlike an athletic shoe, they look good with khakis and jeans.
- Stylish shoe that can be worn for work or pleasure
- Extremely high quality
- Runs small
- Leaves dark stains on socks
- Breathable leather upper
- Flexible sole
- Classic whip stitched moccasin upper
- Natural last shape for walking comfort
- Available in many widths for secure, comfortable fit
Adidas Neo Men’s Cloudfoam Groove Shoe
This lightweight shoe will have you running with energy like you’ve never felt, even if you have foot issues!
With a comfortable and flexible rubber sole and breathable mesh upper cage, this shoe is a fan favorite!
This shoe features a three-dimensional print support frame that has the traditional three stripe pattern you’ve come to know and love from Adidas.
The shoe is super cool, coming in a flashy black and green combo or even bright blue.
The patented Cloudfoam Ultra sock liner is very lightweight but provides pillow-like comfort. The Cloudfoam doesn’t stop there though, as the midsole and outsole feature the same technology.
That means from the inside out, this shoe is committed to your comfort. It also has grooves on the outside of the shoe that make the sole more flexible, mimicking the movement of your own foot as you walk.
For those of us who are a bit lazy, there’s good news. This shoe was made for you to simply step in and out of it; you won’t damage the shape of the shoe!
- Extremely comfortable and lightweight
- Good walking on all kinds of surfaces
- Technology prevents blisters
- Easily gets dirty
- Only recommended for low mileage runners
- Breathable mesh upper
- 3-D print support frame with cut-out 3-Stripes
- cloudfoam ultra sockliner for supreme comfort and lightweight cushioning
- cloudfoam midsole and outsole for step-in comfort and superior cushioning
- Flex grooves in outsole for a natural feel
Mizuno Men’s Wave Creation 19 Running Shoes
Mizuno is one of the top names in men’s athletic shoes and the Wave Creation 19 is certainly no exception!
It is lightweight and extremely comfortable and is a top choice for runners and those with foot problems.
With a sturdy, thick rubber sole and a cage that holds your foot squarely in place, these shoes are a great choice for someone who needs extra support.
The new Infinity Wave geometry feature and shape that Mizuno offers makes sure that your foot is comfortable. It also provides great cushion and helps when your pace transitions.
The shoe also features a new full-length, articulated U4icX bottom midsole which better supports the arches of your feet. This means less pain later and smoother ride!
The Wave Creation 19 also has an anatomical sock liner that replicates the shape of your foot. It also has a removable insole for those who need to insert medical orthotics instead.
Finally, the Mizuno Dynamotion Fit 3 technology gives an insane amount of support for your foot. If you have Achilles tendonitis or any other foot issue, you’ll love this shoe!
- Removable insole
- Extremely comfortable
- Some users reported dealing with blisters after wearing these shoes
- Wide footbed
- New Infinity Wave geometry and shape provides long lasting, softer cushion and response
- New full length, articulated U4icX bottom midsole for a smoother, softer, and more flexible ride
- New premium anatomical sock liner for improved fit and comfort
- Mizuno Dynamotion Fit: 3 panel upper construction with seamless printed overlays for support and a disappearing fit
- Removable insole