As a medical student, you might have to suffer through long hours at work on your feet. There are always patients and medical things that need to be done, so you are constantly on the move.
Having the right kind of shoes is necessary in this line of work. When purchasing footwear, make sure to keep the following things in mind:
Breathability keeps a pair of shoes from breeding bacteria and creating a foul smell.
Comfort can come from a shoe’s heel height, the ability to walk on rough surfaces, and the shoe’s overall cushioning.
No one likes to consistently buy new shoes. Durability is important because it will save you money in the long run.
When buying a new pair of shoes, make sure they are tough and will last you awhile. A good shoe should typically last at least six months.
The support of a shoe is important because it prevents foot, leg, and back pain. There should be arch support and overall cushioning throughout the shoe.
A good pair of shoes should also provide protection against spills and falling heavy objects.
Best Shoes for Med Students in 2021
Dansko Men’s Professional Clog
This shoe provides excellent comfort and is also durable. It is made of an oiled leather clog with a thick sole that can withstand any surface.
Moreover, it is shock absorbent, easy to clean, has strong arch support, and prevents blisters. Unfortunately, it is a bit costly.
- Leather and or fabric uppers
- Padded instep collar for comfort when walking
- Roomy reinforced toe box for protection with plenty of "wiggle room" for your toes
- PU outsole with rocker bottom to propel foot forward and provide shock absorption
- Wide heel strike for greater stability
Dr. Scholl’s Women’s Dynamo
This shoe is made of 100% leather and has a rubber sole, both of which are imported. Don’t worry about slipping because it has amazing traction and is oil-resistant.
The heel is a moderate height of 2 inches. In addition, the memory foam inside makes it form-fitting and cool.
However, there are not many design options and it only comes in one color.
- Oil-resistant, slip-resistant Lock Step OutsoleTM meets SATRA TM63 and TM144 standards
- Memory Foam Cool Fit and anti-compression insole
- Non-marking outsole
- Dri-Lex moisture-wicking lining
Dr. Scholl’s Men’s Winder II
Best for male medical students, this style of shoe is durable, non-slip, comfortable, and has great soles. Other features are its memory foam cool fit, wicking lining, and aegis microbe protector to fight against germs and odor.
Unfortunately, it comes only in the color black and it is known to cause blisters on the heel because of the rubbing of the shoe.
All Birds Tree Dashers
This sneaker is another suitable brand for medical students because it can be worn for long durations of time without causing any discomfort. Another unique thing about it is that it is machine washable.
It is made from natural, renewable materials, but does not have very good traction on rough surfaces.
Reebok Flexagon Force 2 Trainer
Known for being used by athletes, this shoe is possibly the best style for medical students because of its ability to ease tension. Reebok is a brand that is easily trusted because it is made of the best materials and provides the most comfort.
It is breathable and has a shock-absorbing memory foam sock liner. Also, it has midsole cushioning and the best heel height suitable for everyone.
- Cruise through the day's activities in these men's training shoes. The breathable mesh upper has seamless overlays for extra...
- Lightweight, breathable mesh upper
- Seamless overlays for support with flex grooves for flexibility and cushioning
- MemoryTech foam provides first-feel comfort and cushioning
- High-performance rubber strategically placed in midfoot for extra stability and durability
Skechers Women’s Work Sure Track
This shoe provides maximum protection against liquids because of its slip-resistant rubber and leather. The sole is also made of rubber which makes it resistant to any electrical accidents.
Due to its polished finishing, it has a professional appearance but is still great as casual wear. The heel height is ideal for anyone and it has a removable insole and memory foam topper that provides comfort.
The shoe lining fights against blisters as well.
- Memory foam insole
- Soft fabric shoe lining. Padded collar and tongue
- Closure Type: Lace-Up
Birkenstock Professional Slip-resistant Work Shoe
This is one of the most recommended shoes for comfortability, durability, and being weather-friendly. It is made of 100% polyurethane, making it waterproof as well.
Because it is dishwasher friendly, it is easy to clean and maintain. The removable insole makes for a great form of arch support too.
Crocs On-the-Clock Work Shoe
The Crocs On-the-Clock work shoe is great because of its slip-resistance, strongly padded insole for support and ease against pains, great stability, and comfortability. It is also 100% man-made from rubber materials.
- THE PERFECT WORK CROCS: Do your shoes live up to your career specialty? The Crocs On-The-Clock Work Slip On Clogs are the Crocs...
- EASY TO CLEAN: Crocs work clogs are easy to clean by just using soap and water and allowing for a quick dry
- WHAT SIZE SHOULD I BUY?: These shoes offer a relaxed fit and we recommend ordering a size down to the next largest whole size
- CERTIFIABLY COMFORTABLE: Think of these slip resistant shoes as a caffeinated version of the Crocs Classic Clog, all geared up for...
- SLIP RESISTANT: Made with Crocs Lock slip-resistant treads, these Crocs for work are perfect for those at risk of falling. The...
Because medical students are typically so active, it is crucial that they have the proper footwear. Not only does the right shoe prevent pain in the feet, but it also prevents legs pain and back pain as well.
When looking at shoes, make sure to purchase a pair that is going to be comfortable and last you awhile because being a medical student can be hectic and the last thing you want to worry about is buying new shoes.