Everyone needs a reliable pair of comfortable shoes. Arguably, no one needs them more than medical professionals who spend every moment of their shift moving around and standing.
Since nurses spend most of their days on-the-go, they know a thing or two about the importance of comfort and durability when it comes to shoes.
With this in mind, this article outlines some comfortable shoe options for nurses who are always on the move. From athletic sneakers to practical clogs, the following shoes have the seal of approval in terms of support and comfort.
Best Overall for Nurses: Dansko Professional Clog
With an American Podiatric Medical Association seal of approval, this premium leather pair features a spacious toe area, a supportive platform, and an antibacterial stuffing to fight off odor after all-day usage.
A previous customer, someone who worked in nursing for over 20 years, claims she loved this style of shoe so much that bought multiple pairs. They are great for people with a high arch and narrow feet.
- Leather and or fabric uppers
- Padded instep collar for comfort when walking
- Roomy reinforced toe box for protection with plenty of "wiggle room" for your toes
- PU outsole with rocker bottom to propel foot forward and provide shock absorption
- Wide heel strike for greater stability
Best Value for Nurses: Naturalizer Marianne Slip-On Sneaker
Naturalizer’s nice and comfortable shoes are built with three distinct width choices. This pair features a double-dense, contoured rubber outsole that provides the arches and heels with support.
Plus, to keep your feet dry, it comes with cooling padding. One Amazon customer reported saying he loved the shoes; he further commented that he wears them when he knows he will be on his feet all day.
This comfy feel supports his high arch and still supplies him with enough cushioning to remain comfortable.
- Leather, suede, fabric, velvet, corduroy or fabric and leather upper in a casual sport style with a round toe.
- Elastic goring side panels.
- Contour technology.
- Non-slip outsole.
- 1" heel.
Best Sneaker for Nurses: Nike Tanjun Sneaker
These timeless sneakers’ traditional black exterior can endure loads of scuffing and includes the classic Nike symbol on the edges. People love the cozy, spacious toe area and the dense sole that’s built into these shoes, protecting their feet all day.
An Amazon reviewer commented that they are amazingly comfortable shoes. She went on to say that she now owns three of them in different colors.
She is a nurse who works 12-hour work shifts. However, since she has been using these shoes, she hasn’t had any issues with a lack of support.
- Official Nike Logo
- Ideal for lightweight athletics and racing.
- The latest generation.
Best Sneaker Runner-Up: Brooks Ghost 12 Shoe
Brooks is renowned for its quality running shoes, and the Ghost 12s model is no exception. If they were described similarly to luxury cars, they would be plush with a smooth ride.
One reviewer raved, saying if you require a soft, silky casual shoe, they are just right for you! For people with heel pain, these shoes are indeed perfect.
This is because they are soft, supportive, and just right to ease your pain.
- THIS SHOE IS FOR: Neutral runners looking for a lightweight shoe and a smooth ride without sacrificing cushioning. Whether...
- SUPPORT AND CUSHION: The neutral support type provides high energizing cushioning. Ideal for road running, cross training, the gym...
- BALANCED, SOFT CUSHIONING: BioMoGo DNA and DNA LOFT cushioning work together to provide a just-right softness underfoot without...
- SMOOTH, STABLE RIDE: No matter how your foot lands, our Segmented Crash Pad - an integrated system of shock absorbers - will...
- SOFT, SECURE, FIT: The newly engineered mesh and 3D Fit Print practically disappears on your foot with strategically placed...
Best Traction for Nurses: Skechers Work Sure Track Trickel Slip-Resistant Shoe
During long work days, Skechers receive high ratings from online reviewers for their strength and stability. This is because they possess memory foam insoles and non-slip rubber bottoms.
They’re also water-resistant. One Amazon reviewer who is always on her feet said she bought the shoes with the slight hope that they would help.
To her pleasant surprise, she can conveniently work with them for over 12 hours with no swelling or pain of any sort. Isn’t that just amazing?
- Closure Type: Lace-Up
Best Slip-Ons: Nurse Mates Dove Shoe
This shoe line was meticulously created with nurses in mind. The durable rubber soles provide protection from sliding on slippery hospital floors, while the steel shanks offer extra stability.
The slip-on also has a stain-resistant finish that is suitable for when things get messy.
- Shock-absorbing EVA unit bottom features durable, slip-resistant rubber inserts.
- Outer heel shell has a polyurethane core that delivers powerful, shock-absorbing protection.
- Stain-resistant leather upper offers durability and unparalleled softness.
- Leather upper, upper lining / sockliner, latex / EVA insole, EVA midsole, steel shank, EVA outsole.
- Heel Height: 1 1/2 inches. Care: Buff with a leather cleaner or polish. Wipe off with a dry cloth.
Most Stylish: Nike Revolution 5 Shoe
These shoes from Nike have both elegance and stamina. They feature a lightweight foam cushion, a top and lining of breathable mesh, and a flexible rubber outsole with a reasonable amount of traction.
- REVOLUTIONARY COMFORT: The Nike Revolution 5 men's running shoes cushion your stride with soft foam to keep you running in...
- BREATHABLE SUPPORT: These Nike men's shoes have lightweight knit textile that wraps your foot in breathable comfort. Reinforced...
- LIGHTWEIGHT CUSHIONING: Soft foam midsole delivers a smooth, stable ride, making these the running shoes men need. Textured outer...
- DURABLE & FLEXIBLE TRACTION: These Nike shoes are made with rubber outsoles, offering durable traction on a variety of surfaces....
- MEN'S RUNNING SHOES: Lightweight knit wraps foot, foam midsole, rubber outsole, plush lining, soft sockliner.
Best Flats for Nurses: Birdies the Starling Shoe
With a seven-layer footbed, built for ample shock absorption and comfort, these cute flats have all the makings of the perfect shoe. Although most flats have little or no support, these feature memory foam cushioning and have a sweeping arch and heel support, making them suitable for hours spent in the hospital.
- N5 Contour technology.
- Leather, suede, fabric or synthetic upper in a casual tailored style with a round toe.
- Slip-on fit.
- Subtle stitching detail.
- Non-slip outsole for stability
Sanita Professional Texture Oil Clog
These clogs are ready for anything and everything thanks to their sturdy leather casing. The American Podiatric Medical Association recommends these shoes because of their protection.
One consumer on Zappos stated that he loved the shoes because they are perfect for long working hours.
Also, they are less cumbersome compared to Danskos, making his feet look less massive. The arch support is just perfect as well, not too high or too low.
Birkenstock Boston Soft Footbed Clog
The famous rubber outsole of Birkenstock shapes to your feet, offering personalized support. These shoes also have a durable rubber sole that provides traction.
A great review came from a nurse with 40 years of surgery experience, saying the soft footbed gives enough cushion on hard floors and enough arch support.
- Birkenstock contoured cork and latex soft footbed design provides moderate arch support and encourages a natural walking position.
- Layer of latex foam adds soft cushioning.
- Lightweight outsole flexes with your foot and provides durability and shock absorption.
- Suede upper and sockliner, cork / latex footbed, EVA outsole.
- Note: Expedited shipping and delivery to a P.O. Box not available. Made in Germany. Care: Brush with a stiff brush or suede bar.
You could also consider shoes like Adidas Women’s Cloudfoam Pure Running Shoes, New Balance 411 Women’s Walking Shoes, Vionic Women’s Walker, and Brooks Women’s Glycerin 18 Running Shoes if none of the above options seems suitable for your needs.
Comfort, breathability, durability, and protection are some of the most important factors to consider when getting a new shoe. The list outlined above considers all of that without affecting the overall appearance of the shoe.
I hope this article has been of tremendous help to you. Happy shopping!